mardi 28 janvier 2014

[Teardown] Google official wireless charging pad dissassembly topic




Hey guys. :)

I recently stumbled upon some magnetic docking problems with my Nexus 5, so I wanted to know how the charger from Google managed to hold the phone very well. I looked for a teardown of the charger but I found none, neither in XDA nor by a Google search. After hesitating because of the warranty, my curiosity was stronger and I disassembled mine.


The little beast, up and down. There is adhesive rubber on the bottom.

I had no idea about where to start until I discovered how the Nexus 4 charger was disassembled, so I removed the black rubber band on the bottom of the charger. There are 4 screws under it, they're easily removed with a Torx 5 screwdriver.


I love tools from iFixit guys.

The plastic part is then pulled and reveals the main charging board. This board must be carefully lifted because of 4 wires that go under the metallic part, especially the 2 copper wires which seem to be very thin. The board is above a metallic chassis and hides what seem to be 4 magnets.


The main charging board.


The main charging board, with 4 wires going under the metallic part. Notice the 2 little copper wires.


The metallic part. Notice the odd shape (cuboid) of what seems to be 4 magnets.

I couldn't extract the magnets from there, so I had to pull the metallic part. It wasn't easy, even when I understood that it was glued to the black glass panel. It's handy to start with holes designed for wires to separate the metallic part from the glass. WARNING : The glass is actually transparent and there is black paint on it. The paint is under the glass when you look at the (not disassembled) charger. It is VERY EASY to do some scratches, as I've done, when separating the metal part from the glass. Try to avoid it if not needed, else do it with caution.


Using a thin and resistant tool starting from holes for wires makes it easier.


Nice scratches. Meh. I'm gonna use some black paint. If you do this, be careful with the black paint on the glass.


Loads of glue, but nothing impossible to break. You can see the glass, from this point of view the black paint is above it.

We can see the charging coil now, and 4 slots for magnets. Each magnet is held by a black plastic thing. Be aware of the little white plastic part that may fall discreetly, it's used to guide the red light of the charger's LED.


At the left, the charging coil and slots for magnets. At the middle, magnets and black glass. At the right, big piece of black plastic removed at the beginning.


At the left : the little guy trying to escape. At the middle : the place where it belongs too. At the right : same spot with the part inside.

Magnets and their plastic support are bound to the glass only by glue. They come together when you try to extract one of them.


They easily come. Together. No way to extract only the magnet. Luckily you can freely move them, and then use the magnets slots as guides when remounting the charger

Then...surprise ! Each "magnet" is actually made of 3 different magnets. It is very instructional about magnet configuration required to build an optimized magnetic dock. Most people use a single magnet. It isn't completely efficient because metal plates in the Nexus 5 behave oddly and Google had this in mind when designing the charger. Those magnets are attracting the external part of the phone's metal plates, while not being repelled by the center of this plate. [I will post a topic about it later, here is a placeholder for the future link]


One magnetic is magic. Three magnets are pure awesomeness.


This wouldn't really be a good topic without a perfectly photoshopped picture, which should be useful to understand how those magnets are held together and how they attach to the Nexus 5

Some people already told me that the plate's center repelling magnets is nonsense. They're right. So there must be a physical explanation...that I don't get. You maybe will. I only describe.

Sorry for the crappy pictures, I don't have a lot of skills in teardowns. ;)
I hope this will be helpful for you.








Attached Thumbnails


Click image for larger version<br/><br/>Name:	01-NWP.jpg<br/>Views:	N/A<br/>Size:	49.4 KB<br/>ID:	2545338
 

Click image for larger version<br/><br/>Name:	02-Torx5.jpg<br/>Views:	N/A<br/>Size:	126.2 KB<br/>ID:	2545339
 

Click image for larger version<br/><br/>Name:	03-MainBoardUp.jpg<br/>Views:	N/A<br/>Size:	174.1 KB<br/>ID:	2545340
 

Click image for larger version<br/><br/>Name:	04-MainBoardDown.jpg<br/>Views:	N/A<br/>Size:	174.1 KB<br/>ID:	2545341
 

Click image for larger version<br/><br/>Name:	05-MetalPlateUp.jpg<br/>Views:	N/A<br/>Size:	155.1 KB<br/>ID:	2545342
 


Click image for larger version<br/><br/>Name:	06-MetalPlateTeardownStart.jpg<br/>Views:	N/A<br/>Size:	164.3 KB<br/>ID:	2545343
 

Click image for larger version<br/><br/>Name:	07-MetalPlateTeardownWarning.jpg<br/>Views:	N/A<br/>Size:	148.7 KB<br/>ID:	2545344
 

Click image for larger version<br/><br/>Name:	08-MetalPlateTeardownEnd.jpg<br/>Views:	N/A<br/>Size:	169.5 KB<br/>ID:	2545345
 

Click image for larger version<br/><br/>Name:	09-ResultOfTeardown.jpg<br/>Views:	N/A<br/>Size:	174.2 KB<br/>ID:	2545346
 

Click image for larger version<br/><br/>Name:	10-LittleGuy.jpg<br/>Views:	N/A<br/>Size:	45.5 KB<br/>ID:	2545347
 


Click image for larger version<br/><br/>Name:	11-MagnetTeardownStart.jpg<br/>Views:	N/A<br/>Size:	89.0 KB<br/>ID:	2545348
 

Click image for larger version<br/><br/>Name:	12-MagnetTeardownEnd.jpg<br/>Views:	N/A<br/>Size:	225.7 KB<br/>ID:	2545349
 

Click image for larger version<br/><br/>Name:	13-IncrediblePicture.png<br/>Views:	N/A<br/>Size:	23.7 KB<br/>ID:	2545350
 
















Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire